Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In case of MENTAL VACATIONS

Here are two of my favorite places.  The first place is one I’ve always known and loved.  It’s called – and why not – TriciaLand.

TriciaLand is full of Ferris wheels and carousels and sheep.  I’m not sure why there are sheep, but there are.  There are SO MANY sheep. 

TriciaLand is outdoors, obviously.  The terrain is lush and hilly.  It’s always daytime and always summer.  If I had to place TriciaLand in the physical world, I’d say that it’s in Ohio.  It’s sparkly, full of bright colors, and things going in circles.  The Ferris wheels and carousels have discovered somehow the secret of perpetual motion.  If they play music, they all play the same song.  And if you want to ride on one, you have to jump onto it with a flying leap.  Same thing getting off.

The sheep are friendly.  They’re wonderful companions and they’re never annoying.  They’re not cartoon sheep, though.  They don’t talk.  They don’t make expressions.  They’re real, honest-to-goodness, farm-style sheep.  And, again, there are SO MANY.  And, again, I’m not sure why.  But I like them.

Meanwhile, half a world away, there’s another cool place.  I just discovered it last night.  It’s called Michaelville. 

Michaelville, as suggested by the name, is considerably less outdoorsy than TriciaLand.  Michaelville is a room – sort of a hang out – with cool chairs everywhere.  Prominently featured is a large, glass display case, which is subdivided into compartments of various sizes.  In one compartment rests the perfect pair of headphones.  In another, the perfect umbrella.  Other compartments feature photographs of important people.  (And, yes, there’s one of me!) 

In Michaelville, there’s an iPod that always plays The Beatles.  There’s a TV that alternatively shows The Muppets and Mr. Bean.  There’s also an open window through which a cool breeze blows.

But most of all, it’s full of Michaels.  Michaels of all shapes and sizes!  Michael Jordan hangs out there.  Michael Douglas.  Michael W. Smith.  Michael Mouse (better known to his friends as Mickey).  And of course, my favorite of all these men, Michael Pickering.  And what do these Michaels do, you ask?  Naturally, they hang out together, talk, laugh, and eat tomato and cheese sandwiches.

And, until very recently, these two places have been very far apart.  But if you were to visit TriciaLand today, you might hear all the carousels and Ferris wheels playing the same song: “All My Lovin'” by The Beatles.

And if you went to Michaelville right now…chances are you’d bump into a sheep.  

2 comments:

kj said...

If you were any more adorable I think I'd have to fly to California and smack you.

trey said...

Your boy has excellent taste in music. I approve.